Yay fall! Although, the weather keeps creeping up into the 90’s here in Iowa and I am ready for cooler weather, especially to watch some football.
However, I am loving everything apple and everything pumpkin.
Are you team apple spice or pumpkin spice?
I have a fun easy recipe for you try that can be enjoyed for breakfast, snack or even dessert, because why not?
What you need
With a few basic ingredients, the essences of apples come out in these donuts.
A few key ingredients:
Whole-Wheat Flour: This flour does not bring down the density of the donut, while adding extra amount of flour.
Apple Pie Spice Seasoning: A great combination of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, cardamom, ginger, clove, and mace.
Apple cider: The liquid in this recipe comes from the cider and enjoy the leftovers heated up on a cool fall night.
Apple sauce (unsweetened): Adds a bit of sweetness plus moisture to help create a tender crumb in the donut.
Apples: The star of the show in show! You can use varieties like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Fuji. They’re typically cored, finely chopped or even grated before being added to the batter. Chopped apples can be optional if you want a smoother texture.
These donuts are made with nutrient-rich ingredients, but they also contain other non-nutritive ingredients.
Some benefits include a bit more fiber by using the whole-wheat flour. Fiber content aids in digestion, promotes a feeling of fullness, and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Apple spice donuts are a satisfying treat and provide a steady release of energy, helping prevent energy crashes and feeling fatigue.
Adding apple cider to a recipe can provide various benefits, depending on the dish and your desired flavor profile. Here are some potential advantages of incorporating apple cider into your cooking:
1. Flavor Enhancement: Apple cider imparts a natural sweetness and fruity flavor to dishes, which can enhance the overall taste and complexity of the recipe.
2. Moisture and Tenderness: In baking and cooking, apple cider can help maintain moisture in dishes like cakes, muffins, and roasted meats. It can also tenderize meats, making them juicier and more flavorful.
3. Natural Sweetener: Apple cider can serve as a natural sweetener in recipes, reducing the need for processed sugars. This is especially useful in baking and dessert recipes.
4. Dietary Benefits: Apple cider is a source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C and potassium. It can provide some nutritional value to your dishes, especially when used in vinaigrettes and dressings for salads.
5. Versatility: Apple cider can be used in a wide range of recipes, from soups and stews to desserts and cocktails, making it a versatile ingredient in the kitchen.
When using apple cider in recipes, you can experiment with different varieties of apple cider, such as spiced cider or flavored versions, to add unique twists to your dishes.
Overall, using unsweetened applesauce is a versatile that can improve the nutritional profile of your recipes while preserving flavor and moisture.
Apple Spice Donuts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 apple, finely chopped optional
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice seasoning
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a standard donut pan or mini donut pan with nonstick spray. Add the egg, apple cider, butter, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar to a medium bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared donut pan, filling each full. Bake for 14-16 minutes (standard donut pan) or bake 12-14 minutes (mini donut pan) bake until lightly golden brown.Optional Cinnamon-Sugar Topping: Add the seasoning and sugar to a bowl and stir to combine. Brush the top of each donut with a little butter.
I am a registered dietitian nutritionist, mom to three kiddos (+ dog), book/podcast lover, and fan of all foods. My mission is help you stop stressing about what to eat, ditch those diet rules, and take on a simple, balanced approach to mindful eating.
I hope you enjoy my quick tips for keeping food simple, healthy, and fun!